Highville Charter School, Inc. Board of Directors Minutes of Regular Meeting. Feb. 15, 2012
A regular meeting of the Board of Directors was called to order by Alexis Highsmith, Chairperson, at 6:10 p.m. Other Board members present included: Dave Thompson, Robin Sadek, Sharon Bender, Alison Given
Administrative staff present: Bill Troy, Oscar Grant
Absent: Linda Baylor, Flora Newton, Rona Scott, Jessica Philpotts, Sean Hutchinson, Regina Martin
- Motion to add 2C: Request from Search Committee to agenda
S. Bender/R. Sadek: Unanimous
- Motion to approve minutes 1/18/12
D. Thompson/S. Bender: Unanimous
- Motion to approve 2012 BOD Meeting Dates
R. Sadek/D. Thompson: Unanimous
- Motion to approve Search Committee to spend up to $10,000 to hire a consultant
S. Bender/D. Thompson: Unanimous
Finance & Audit Committee
- The finance committee did not hold a meeting
- The Personnel Committee held a conference call this past week regarding recruitment for the new school year and advertising for the four new positions (reading coach, math coach, global studies coordinator, and 7th grade teacher). Four positions will be posted by March 1st on REAP, CEA, & HBC and left posted until filled. They will be setting up a committee of teachers and administration to conduct interviews. The yearend evaluations for executive director will be done by June 1 and associate director will be done by June 15 to be acted on at June Meeting. A personnel manual will be in place by the end of the year.
Facility Negotiating Committee
- Ira is away. They had a meeting with Chuck regarding the best approach available for us…discussed looking at a lease to purchase. The committee will schedule a meeting with Ira upon his return from FL.
Administration Search Committee
- The Administration Committee sent out a request for proposal for consultant. They have received one so far and the deadline was Friday. They will continue to stick to timeline which involves having the Director of Operations and Principal positions posted by March 1 and filled by May. They did seek teacher feedback through a questionnaire and will use the information to tweak job descriptions and form interview questions.
- The Nominating Committee met with a fantastic potential candidate who is very interested. She will let them know if she can make the commitment.
- The Executive committee had their first meeting on Monday 2/13 through a conference call. They discussed their role and responsibility within the board. Within that they discussed their role to help set a vision of the board and school and realized we had no core values (acronym). Sean and Dave will work on this. They will be meeting on Mondays before our regular scheduled Wednesday meetings via conference call and will therefore post agenda and minutes regarding meetings.
- A copy of the assessment calendar from September to June was passed out. It indicated the different assessments that are given throughout the year. All data regarding assessments is submitted and put together for data meetings.
- Bill shared two articles regarding the governor’s proposal.
- Promethean Professional Development is going well. The teachers worked the last two Saturdays and there will be more training coming. We are looking to set up a Parent Night in March to share the new technology with parents and will be looking for student and parent volunteers. Students have also been using the hand held devices to interact with the board from their seats.
- The 2012-2013 budget is in good shape and things are moving along.
Motion to adjourn at 7:05 p.m.
S. Bender/R. Sadek: Unanimous