Highville Charter School, Inc. Board of Directors Minutes of Regular Meeting. Sept. 21, 2011
A regular meeting of the Board of Directors was called to order by Alexis Highsmith, Chairperson, at 6:17 p.m. Other Board members present included: Tony Bures, Sean Hutchinson, Flora Newton, Robin Sadek, Regina Martin, Dave Thompson, Linda Baylor
Administrative staff present: Bill Troy, Niki Nash, Oscar Grant
Absent: Rona Scott, Clarence Ashe
Guests: Kim Boyd-Hunter, Jessica Philpotts, Stefanie Cervoni-Leng, Kelly Delgado, Alison Given, Courtney Clinton, Kelley Tetreault, Christine Grady, Dawn Emerman
- Motion to accept the minutes dated 08/24/2011
R. Martin/D. Thompson: Unanimous
No Committee Reports
- Kelley Tetreault presented the 2010/11 CMT results for grades 3-8. Discussion took place regarding the results and suggestions were made to improve the scores.
- Highville is currently at 337 students. We have reached our enrollment capacity for the 2011/12 school year.
- Camp Antrum, Concert Band, and Steel Band have either begun or will begin soon. Mrs. Emerman, the music teacher, said the concert band will begin with a record of 56 students. Each bad will meet after school and during the school day once a week. There are also a large number of students interested in beginning Steel Band.
- Mr. Troy presented the assessment calendar for September and October. Administration will meet with every teacher to discuss data at least three times during this school year.
- Administration is trying to plan a school climate, bullying, peer relationship workshop for parents to be held during the evening. The board will receive advance notification when this workshop is scheduled.
- Highville and the Whitney Center have been discussing the use of the Whitney Center’s pool after school for swimming lessons for HCS students beginning next month.
- Mr. Troy met with Ira Saferstein, the building owner, and his lawyer to discuss the possible expansion or renovation of the building for Highville’s use. The other schools in the building plan on occupying their space until 2013. Mr. Troy recommended staying in our space for one additional year and then committing to a 2013 date to purchase the building. The board will discuss a decision at the October or November board meeting. The finance committee will meet to discuss and offer a recommendation prior to the board meeting.
- Kindergarten through fourth grade has had their library visit time increased this school year. During their visits they are read a story, they can browse and borrow the books and have silent reading times.
- A reading challenge has been initiated throughout the school. The details of the challenge were presented by Mrs. Nashs.
- Mr. Troy presented his letter of intent to retire. He plans to retire effective June 30, 2012.
- Alexis Highsmith also presented a letter of intent to resign as Board Chairperson as of June 30, 2012. She will remain on the board as a board member to assist the next board chairperson in their transition.
Motion to adjourn at 7:53 p.m.
F. Newton/S. Hutchinson: Unanimous